The greatest achievements where at first, and for sometime, dreams...

Tuesday 18 May 2010

There was a pub closing down today, and my aunt wanted to get glasses and chairs for her own and I found a really cute vintage metal sign...London & South Western Railway - London to Paris, which is now happily sitting on my shelf, amongst all my other collected bits and pieces that seem to be filling my room at great speed. Glass bottles and vintage tins with the Queen on and birdcages and thirty plus keys bluetacked round the edge of a cupboard and some homemade bunting and my red Alex Drake beads, and a big bit of broken sailing sign I found at the harbour and buttons in jelly moulds and a million scraps of paper from my unfinished wall.
If you wanted to know almost anything about me, you could just analyse my wall.

And then this evening we went down to Lifeboat Beach. It's eerie sometimes, when it's just on the edge of being dark, and the sea looks endless in one direction, but if you spin round and face the other way, you can see the twinkle of Portsmouth on the horizon, with the Spinnaker tower, and the edges of the city. And right out, at the edge of the world, are oil tankers and cruise ships and ships that look like pirates own them, with three masts and huge sails. And all of them have little lights on, where somewhere out there there's people - right in the middle of the ocean. When it's foggy in the night, there's no sound outside our house at all, except the foghorns, just loud enough to be able to hear them, of the boats way out in the Channel.

In other news...
1. I bought 2 TV magazines and the Daily Mirror this week. I don't read any of those things. And I can't open the Mirror until Saturday anyway. That's what insanity does for you, I guess.
2. Currently Reading: Sea Room - Adam Nicolson
3. Now Playing: Culture Club, David Bowie, Yazoo, Spandau Ballet PLUS Paloma Faith, Scouting for Girls, Passion Pit, Diane Birch







No comments:

Post a Comment